Published at:

seriousassaultstjamesnewport_003UPDATED WITH VIDEO: A main road in Newport has been cordoned off by Police this morning (Sunday) following what is believed to be the discovery of a male with head injuries overnight.

St James’ Street has been cordoned off at both ends outside McDonalds and outside the Island Innovation sixth form as officers investigate the incident, which has been described as ‘serious’

The pavement outside The Co-Operative and TK Maxx in South Street has also been cordoned off by Police.

Article continues below this advertisement

seriousassaultstjamesnewport_004Island Echo understands the injured man has been flown to Southampton General Hospital. His condition is currently unknown.

A hard road closure has been placed on Upper St James’ Street, which is to remain closed for the foreseeable future.

UPDATE @ 09:26 – Hampshire Constabulary have confirmed a serious assault occurred at shortly before 04:00 this morning and that a man is in a life-threatening condition in hospital.

The unnamed male, who is believed to have been found in the middle of the road, was airlifted to Southampton General Hospital from St Mary’s by Coastguard Rescue Helicopter.

seriousassaultstjamesnewport_008UPDATE @ 10:53 – Witnesses have described to Island Echo how the man was found unconscious with serious head injuries before being conveyed to St Mary’s Hospital by land ambulance at around 04:20.

Article continues below this advertisement

The scene remains cordoned off this morning, with a Police van appearing to be protecting blood on the floor from the elements.

Detectives from the mainland have travelled to the Island to assist local colleagues in the investigation.

imageUPDATE @ 15:07 – Forensic officers from the mainland have conducted an examination of the scene as investigations into the incident continue.

All road closures remain in place this afternoon and are likely to remain in place for at least another couple of hours.

There has been no further update issued on the condition of the victim, who remains in Southampton General Hospital.

Anyone with information is asked to contact Police by phoning 101, quoting 157.

UPDATE @ 16:30 – The Police cordon, which has been in place all day, has now been removed.

The road has reopened to traffic.

UPDATE @ 17:13 – Police have arrested a 20-year-old man on suspicion of causing grievous bodily harm.

Read the full details at





The views/opinions expressed in these comments are solely those of the author and do not represent those of Island Echo. House rules on commenting must be followed at all times.
Football Betting Site Betway

Join our daily newsletter

News, Traffic & Travel Tweets