Marconi (1)
Marconi

NEEDLES TO BE HONOURED WITH WORLD ORIGIN SITE STATUS FOR INAUGURAL WIRELESS TRANSMISSION

Marconi PlaqueThe world’s first wireless station – located at The Needles – has been approved and credited with World Origin Site status.

This coveted status marks the place, people and moment when something truly groundbreaking was invented, discovered or first used.

Needles Landmark Attraction General Manager, Marino Zanti, has said he will be honoured and enraptured to receive this recognition on Tuesday (5th December) when a ceremony will take place.

This date marks 126 years to the day Marconi set up his revolutionary wireless equipment.

The world-famous Marconi Monument is also situated at The Needles, which marks the location where Guglielmo Marconi undertook his pioneering work at the end of the 19th Century, leading to radio and all telecommunications as we know it today.

Sloop John B.
Sloop John B.
7 months ago

Sadly now the site is just known for overpriced parking and tacky rides.
70 quid for a family of six to ride to the beach and back. Also the fireworks littering the beach and the sea.

I’m sure that Guglielmo Macaroni would be pleased.

Mike Hyde
Mike Hyde
Reply to  Sloop John B.

Sloop John B.

Would you like to give me your real name and I’ll arrange with the Needles to give you a refresh of the site. Thousands of people that visit every year enjoy the experience.

I know the management so as I say please reply to my message giving me your real name and email address and I’ll arrange a day next year where you can go and take a look and if you still think the same then that’s fine.

Look forward to hearing from you. I’m Mike Hyde as you can see.

Regards.

Mike.

Shingen
Shingen
Reply to  Mike Hyde
7 months ago

Pull the other one Mike, it’s got bells on! Anyone who has even set foot in the place knows it is incredibly tacky and overpriced. Have inside info from staff that it is run badly by most managers (not all mind!) and is solely to make profit off of idiot holiday makers who, once they have made it out there are essentially trapped into spending as it is so out of the way. Owners don’t care about anything other than profit.

Last edited 7 months ago by Shingen
Mike Hyde
Mike Hyde
Reply to  Shingen
7 months ago

I’ve never known so many numb nuts as you clowns on here! So can i ask you Shingen when you go to work your boss or company has to make a profit to pay you your wage at the end of the month. Or if you work for yourself, you price up a job to make a? Yes you’ve got it a profit! Go and wash your face look in the mirror. Mind you we’re approaching pantomime season. God help you.

Sloop John B.
Sloop John B.
Reply to  Mike Hyde
7 months ago

I’m not comfortable giving personal information to strangers Mike.. would you like my mother’s maiden name too.?
As I’ve stated before many times, my name is John B, I’m a beach boys fan, hence the username.
Now going back to the Needles, we have a tea cup ride, a carousel, a Dino jeep ride, Dino golf, sweet making, and an expensive chair lift. That’s all. Hardly comparable to Alton Towers, Legoland, Blackgang Chine etc. This is an iconic part of the island with commanding views, but it’s let down by this unpleasure park. There are plenty of negative reviews about the cost of this place, £6 parking, £55 boat ride etc.
The fireworks disturb people in Totland and Freshwater and leaves litter everywhere, beauty of nature ruined.

Mike Hyde
Mike Hyde
Reply to  Sloop John B.
7 months ago

Somehow i didn’t think you would. Fireworks disturb people.. Do me a favour. 5 or 6 times a year on a Thursday during August for a bout 15 minutes. Alton Towers is £68 entry in August. Suggest you put your head phones on and put a whiskey in your coco to calm you down when the fireworks start next year. If your name was Rhonda we could sing God help me Rhonda and the other one that you obviously hate people having Fun fun fun. Love to NOT have a drink with you in the pub! Bundle of joy.

Sloop John B.
Sloop John B.
Reply to  Mike Hyde
7 months ago

Do you think it is ok inflicting unwanted noise on the residents of the entire West Wight every Thursday during the summer when they need their windows open due to the heat.? Where do the fireworks land after they are set off.? Let me tell you they don’t magically disappear. It’s littering and noise pollution plus the stress on animals, both pets and wildlife, and people, there’s even a cow farm next door, I bet nobody goes in to check on the cows to see them suffering.
If your name was ABBA we could sing Money Money Money, as that’s all the unpleasant park thinks about.

Julie Wallace
Julie Wallace
Reply to  Sloop John B.
7 months ago

It’s attitudes i’m afraid like yours of which would result on the Island just completely dying on its backside. People like you are one dimensional who take pleasure out of running everything down on this Island of which relies on tourism. I thought the offer from Mr Hyde was a very generous one where you had and still have every opportunity to privately email him so you could have a look at the Park next year and maybe come to another opinion. I take my young daughter a few times a year down on the chairlift ride as long as going to the fun day on Thursday’s during the summer holidays of which we both thoroughly enjoy. Sloop John B you can only hide behind a mask of which makes you a bit of a coward really.

Sloop John B.
Sloop John B.
Reply to  Julie Wallace
7 months ago

I do not need an invite to see the park.
I’ve seen it recently. The island does rely on tourism and it needs quality attractions for visiting tourists.
As many people find, this park is not very good, it’s dated, cheesy, and too expensive. You enjoy going to the fun day on a Thursday, but locals do not enjoy the nuisance fireworks that are inflicted on them. It’s as simple as that really.

Dave G
Dave G
Reply to  Mike Hyde
7 months ago

My guess is that you are the idiot making the Facebook posts. Dreadful.

Dave G
Dave G
7 months ago

All good but I wish the person making the posts on Facebook would stop making so many grammatical errors. Some of their posts make me cringe they are so poorly put together. There was a sudden change from very well worded posts some time ago so I assume someone else much less capable of putting sentences together properly took over.

John Smith
John Smith
Reply to  Dave G
7 months ago

It’s Always wise to check your own post for grammatical errors when criticising others.

Dave G
Dave G
Reply to  John Smith

So it’s you!
LOL

Mark Wheeler
Mark Wheeler
Reply to  John Smith
7 months ago

Hang on, you’ve made an error in your post!!

Mark Wheeler
Mark Wheeler
7 months ago

Their Facebook page is full of badly worded posts. You’d think with all the money they make they’d employ someone how understands English to write them.

Jon Claire
Jon Claire
7 months ago

The award should not go to The Needles park, they didn’t own it when Marconi made history. The actual site is in dire need of modernisation. It’s tired to say the least. No doubt so are most of their unappreciated minimum wage seasonal staff. It’s a dreadful place to visit.