Breaking News First photos First reported by Island Echo

UPDATED: KITCHEN FIRE BREAKS OUT IN BEMBRIDGE

Firefighters are tackling a kitchen fire at a property in Bembridge this morning (Tuesday).

2 appliances from Bembridge and Sandown are on scene at Foreland Road, where a fire has developed on the ground floor of a semi-detached home.

Crews are using hose reels and breathing apparatus to bring the incident under control.

Article continues below this advertisement

The alarm was raised at around 05:45.

Foreland Road is currently blocked in both directions for large vehicles.

UPDATE @ 06:30 – The fire has now been extinguished and positive pressure ventilation is being used to rid the building of smoke.

It has been confirmed to Island Echo that the fire began as a result of an electrical malfunction within the toaster.

The effects of the fire have been limited thanks to the homeowner’s positive fire safety measures, such as shutting the doors at night and having a linked and working smoke alarm system. He was alerted to the fire and was able to safely escape.

Article continues below this advertisement

Crews have now stood down from the incident and are returning to station.


Do you follow Island Echo on Facebook?
Get access to exclusive news, photos, videos and merchandise by becoming a supporter through Facebook Subscriptions! Find out more at https://www.facebook.com/becomesupporter/309220432954/

News, Traffic & Travel Tweets