This is your weekly round-up of the latest court news, covering some of the cases heard by the Isle of Wight Combined Court over the past week.
The convicted person’s name, age, address and details of the charge(s) and sentence are published in accordance with UK law.
Week to 7th December 2018
• Reece Chilcott, 27, of Sherbourne Street, Bembridge appeared before the Isle of Wight Crown Court last Friday where he was jailed for 21 months.
Chilcott admitted assault by failing to prevent harm as well as possession of both Class B and Class C drugs. He also previously admitted assaulting 2 constables in the execution of their duty.
• Geoffrey Morris, 77, of Holyrood Street in Newport pleaded guilty to no less than 27 counts of sexual offences when he appeared before the Isle of Wight Crown Court on Tuesday.
Morris stood in the dock and admitted his guilt to 10 counts of sexual activity with a child, 7 counts of indecency with a child, 5 counts of sexual assault, 2 counts of engaging in sexual activity with a child, 2 counts of indecent assault on a male and 1 count of inciting a child under 13 to engage in sexual activity.
The case was adjourned to return before the Crown Court for sentencing on 11th January 2019.
• Paula Skelly, 62, of Jersey Road, Portsmouth was due to appear before the Isle of Wight Magistrates Court this morning (Friday).
Skelly failed to appear and a warrant has been issued for her arrest in relation to 1 charge of arson.
• Emma Blackman, 25, of HMP Bronzefield, appeared before the Isle of Wight Crown Court last Friday where she admitted 3 counts of handling stolen goods and misleading the Isle of Wight Council into spending money.
Blackman was sentenced to 7 months in prison – suspended for 2 years.
• Nina Hoskins, 33, of St James’ Street in Newport admitted assault occasioning actual bodily harm (ABH), assaulting a constable in the execution of their duty, failing to surrender and 3 charges of theft when she appeared before the Isle of Wight Crown Court today (Friday).
Hoskins was given a 18 month community order and ordered to complete 40 days of rehabilitation.
• Hamilton Russell, 32, of Blythe Way, Shanklin was handed a 9 month prison sentence – suspended for 2 years – for collecting more than 1,800 sexual images of children when he appeared before the Isle of Wight Crown Court this week.
The father-of-2 was also ordered to complete 100 hours of unpaid work and complete a rehabilitation programme. He has been placed on the Sex Offenders Register.
Don’t forget to follow the Island’s news as it happens…