This is your new weekly round-up of the latest court news, covering some of the cases heard by the Isle of Wight Combined Court over the past week.
The convicted person’s name, age, address and details of the charge(s) and sentence are published in accordance with UK law.
Week to 5th October 2018
• Tyrone Clarkson, 23, of High Street, Shanklin appeared before Magistrates last Friday where he admitted the offence of driving a motor vehicle with a proportion of a specified controlled drug above the specified limit. He was stopped by Police on St George’s Road in Shanklin on 14th June and found to have 6.6ug/l of Delta-9-Tetrahydrocannabinol in his blood, exceeding the specified limit.
Clarkson was banned from driving for 12 months, fined £120 and ordered to pay a £50 surcharge with costs of a further £50.
• David Orchard, 30, of Hyde Road, Shanklin appeared before the Isle of Wight Magistrates Court accused of arson with intent/reckless as to whether life was endangered. His case was adjourned to the Crown Court until 29th October 2018. He was given unconditional bail.
• John Bateman, 62, of Consort Road, Cowes admitted breaching a sexual harm prevention order (SHPO) at the Isle of Wight Crown Court on Thursday. He was jailed for 32 months as he also breached a 2-year suspended sentence.
• Aykut London, 19, of Melville Street, Sandown admitted theft from a shop (assorted foodstuffs) when he appeared in court last Friday.
London’s admission of guilt put him in breach of a conditional discharge. Magistrates decided to impose a new conditional discharge for a period of 18 months as well as ordering London to pay costs of £45 with a surcharge of £20.
• Thomas Coutts, 26, and a serving prisoner at HMP Isle of Wight (Parkhurst), admitted 2 separate charges of assault by beating when he appeared in court via video link last Friday.
The offences against 2 individual men took place on 8th July and 10th July. For this he was given a 4-month extension to his existing sentence.
• Abu Ahmed, 37, of Milligan Road, Ryde admitted perverting the course of justice when he appeared before the Isle of Wight Crown Court via video link on Monday.
Ahmed received a sentence of 10 months imprisonment and has been made subject to a 5 year restraining order against a young woman.
• Daniel Stedman, 22, of Great Preston Road in Ryde admitted possessing a Class B drug with intent to supply at the Isle of Wight Crown Court on Monday.
Stedman received an 8 month jail sentence, suspended for 18 months. He was also ordered to carry out 100 hours of unpaid work.
• Danny Stretch, 27, of Woodhill Close in Ryde pleaded guilty to inflicting grievous bodily harm (GBH) in June 2017 when he appeared before the Isle of Wight Crown Court this week.
Stretch has been jailed for a total of 16 months.
• Declan Clarke, 18, of Badgers Close, Wroxall also pleaded guilty to inflicting grievous bodily harm (GBH) for the same offence as Danny Stretch. Clarke received a 10 month jail term, suspended for 18 months. He must also complete 20 days of rehabilitation.
• Lewis Dewick, 27, of Cross Street in Newport admitted a total of 13 charges when he appeared before the Crown Court on Thursday.
Dewick received a 16 month prison sentence for not only attempting to steal from a shop, theft and 11 counts of fraud by misrepresentation, but for breaching 2 suspended sentences previously imposed upon him.