2 appliances from Newport were mobilised to an address on the Main Road at just gone 12:10.
Crews with breathing apparatus have entered the property with a hose reel and have managed to bring the situation under control.
It has been discovered that burnt bacon in the oven is to blame for the alert. The charred food stuff and tray have been removed to the garden.
Positive Pressure Ventilation is currently being used to rid the building of lingering smoke.
Meanwhile traffic is being directed past the scene with a give and take arrangement.