Names were drawn out of a hat to determine the last seat on Sandown Town Council following Thursday’s election, as the votes were simply too close.
6 seats were available for the South Ward of the Sandown Town Council but 8 candidates were fighting for a place.
The 6th and 7th placed candidates, Emily Brothers and Pauline Evans, were tied on 200 votes apiece, so lots were drawn to ultimately decide who would get the seat. Ms Brothers got the luck of the draw and a place on the town council.
Claire Shand, returning officer for the Isle of Wight Council, said after speaking to the count supervisor she was confident the numbers were correct and that left them in a position where lots had to be drawn.
Ms Shand said both candidates were aware of the process but the candidate who lost was ‘understandably sad’. Ms Shand said she had the numbers rechecked one final time and they still were exactly the same as before, so the drawn lot stood.
Cllr Brothers will now take her place, along with 11 others, on Sandown Town Council.
Sandown North Ward (6 seats) – Turnout 35.06%
- Debbie Andre, Ind – 510 (Elected)
- Sue Betts, Green – 307 (Elected)
- Paul Brading – 228
- Ian Fletcher – 349 (Elected)
- Dan Haynes, Ind – 275
- Heather Humby, Ind – 604 (Elected)
- Alex Lightfoot, Ind – 477 (Elected)
- Robert May, Ind – 295 (Elected)
- Stephen Parkes – 167
- Joan Solomon – 285
Sandown South Ward (6 seats) – Turnout 29.81%
- Frank Baldry – 225 (Elected)
- Emily Brothers – 201 (Elected)
- Pauline Evans – 200
- Jenny Hicks – 336 (Elected)
- Paddy Lightfoot – 418 (Elected)
- Ian Ward – 389 (Elected)
- Toby Wilcock – 314 (Elected)
- Gary Young – 114
Don’t miss another story! Get the Island’s latest news delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up to our daily newsletter here.