We are looking for 2 talented, enthusiastic and knowledgeable digital journalists who live and breathe the world of news, with the ability to use creative copy, photo and video equipment to create digitally focussed content fit for the 21st century.
Island Echo is the award-winning, leading news website for the Isle of Wight, publishing over 5,000 stories a year to an ever-growing readership generating in excess of 2.3 million page views a month. Established in 2012, the company has grown rapidly to become the market leader and in 2019 was named the IW Chamber Micro Business of the Year. In 2020, Island Echo was highly commended for the newsawards ICNN Community News Website of the Year award, going on to be nominated for the same award in 2021.
The successful candidates will become a crucial part of our small team based out of our new offices in Ryde and will provide around-the-clock news across the Island following our ‘first, fast, free’ ethos. We’re looking for someone who can bring fresh ideas to the business, who can work under pressure and has a genuine passion and understanding of what it means to be a digital news reporter in 2021.
This is a rare, unique and exciting opportunity but please note that this role comprises of an around-the-clock on-call rota system (proposed 1 week in 3). This will involve remote working on press releases and other stories as they emerge, as well as attending breaking news incidents in all weathers and locations.
Key Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Produce engaging stories with accuracy and speed for both our general news and breaking news sections of the website, including reporting live ‘in the field’ from the scene as well as court reporting
- Use a variety of multimedia tools to report news from across the Isle of Wight, including live streaming to Facebook
- Curate storytelling articles from a variety of sources, including writing up press releases, as well as pitching your own original ideas to the editor
- Utilise social media platforms to reach and engage with the readership including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Youtube and other social media
- Be a brand ambassador for Island Echo in person and online, acting in a professional manner and following company policies and legal expectations
We are looking for a journalist who…
- is above all else reliable, trustworthy and punctual
- has a strong knowledge of the local area and the news industry both locally and further afield
- can work under pressure to tight deadlines in a sometimes stressful environment
- has excellent communication skills with the ability to adapt to house style
- can deliver well-written, professional news articles to meet the goals set by the business
- is comfortable and knowledgeable using photo and video cameras, both overtly and covertly
- has a passion for all things digital, recognising the differences within the news market
- can adapt to changing technologies, market changes and business needs
- has knowledge of media law and the Editors’ Code of Practice – formal qualification not required
1-3 years experience is desired for this role, although further training will be given especially around breaking news incidents and applications will be considered from those with less experience.
A full UK driving licence and own vehicle (car/motorcycle) are a must. Mileage will be compensated (rate to be discussed).
A confidentiality agreement and a non-compete agreement would need to be signed on commencement of employment.
Working hours are flexible to each candidate’s circumstances, based around:
- 32-40 hours a week
09:00-17:30, 4 or 5 days a week including 30-minute unpaid lunch break
• 1 in 3 Rota
Working remotely on weekday evenings and around-the-clock on weekends/bank holidays – 7 days on, 14 days off proposed (flexible)
- iPhone, drone and camera/video equipment supplied
- Own desk in recently refurbished offices– no hot desking here!
- Opportunity of training in media law (distance learning)
- Annual Christmas Meal + flexibility over the festive period
- Opportunity to be a part of a growing, award-winning business
- Access to a variety of events across the Isle of Wight
To apply for this role, send a covering letter and your CV in the first instance to [email protected]. All applications are treated in strict confidence.
Applications will close on 29th October 2021, with interviews to be held soon after. The proposed start date is November 2021, but is flexible depending on circumstance.