671897db-9bb7-425c-ac76-13856a595103

UPDATED: HOVERTRAVEL SUSPEND SERVICE DUE TO TECHNICAL ISSUES

Hovertravel has been forced to suspend its cross-Solent service this afternoon (Saturday) due to technical issues with both of its craft.

Solent Flyer and Island Flyer are both out of action leaving the travel operator without a craft to run on the Ryde-Southsea route.

It comes following a week of problems, including  an incident which saw passengers having to walk across the sand at Ryde.

Tickets are being accepted on Wightlink’s Fastcat service to and from Ryde Pier Head.

An update is expected at 16:00 but it’s unclear if the service will be able to resume at this time.

UPDATE – Services have resumed as of 17:45.

Dusty Willy
Dusty Willy

BUILD THE BRIDGE NOW

Kev
Kev
Reply to  Dusty Willy

No the bridge you so definitely demand is not the answer, there is no prospect of a bridge or tunnel in the next 40-50 years even if it was considered, the cost is the first reason the second is a realistic feasibility study, which would require a considerable lengthy study taking years, then there would be public protest/objections on both sides of the water.

The real answer to the problem is a realistic non fixed link that works primarily for the interests of Island people at a reasonable price, that is not run into the ground by money grabbing businesses who look to make the biggest profits at the expense of people who rely on transport.

Proud Overner
Proud Overner
Reply to  Dusty Willy

Oh!! don’t upset the village idiots, they think the island is too special for a bridge or tunnel. They don’t believe in progress.

Kev
Kev
Reply to  Proud Overner

I believe in progress and I am well aware of a multitude of issues for this Island, a number of issues could be solved by a bridge, however that does not mean the only or best answer to these issues is a bridge/tunnel. Progress could and should be a NONE fixed link that is both reliable and fit for purpose.

Try not being so condescending and insulting to this Island and it’s people and have respect for both, this is an Island that gets little or no respect from the current suppliers of transport to and from it. There are many who choose to live/move here and visit because it is SPECIAL! I think I made myself clear enough for you to understand. If you don’t like it stay away, you’re no loss.

Proud Overner
Proud Overner
Reply to  Kev

Typical islander reply. Let’s not forget that the IOW is just as much part of the U.K. as anywhere else, it is no more special than the mainland. I moved here to expand my business and employ locals but owing to it being the poor cousin to the mainland it is no longer feasible to travel back and forth on the extremely poor ferry services. I have been trying to sell my property for over a year now but constantly being let down by islanders who want something for nothing or do not understand the conveyancing procedures. A fixed link is the only way to move forward. 40-50 years to build a link, Where did you pluck that number from?

Kev
Kev
Reply to  Proud Overner

Your attitude does not help your cause, The Island is a special area, this is due to the fact it is an Island, not part of the Mainland, we agree the ferry services are appalling, people both here and in UK are equally mis-understanding of conveyancing we pay what we can afford just like Mainland.

Where did I pluck that figure from? Like you I am no expert, think about it, consultation period, logistics, build time, public objections and the massive cost, the government would never put the money up for it.

The most practical way forward is a sensible Ferry service fit for you me and all concerned including business.

You knew this was an Island, your business failed knowing that, including ferry service problem.

Roger
Roger
Reply to  Dusty Willy

Gets my vote

Joe Bloggs
Joe Bloggs
Reply to  Dusty Willy

If you don’t like living on an island, move back to the mainland.

D. Routledge
D. Routledge
Reply to  Joe Bloggs

Yawn!

plato
plato
Reply to  Joe Bloggs

Typical low IQ islander reply. No wonder this place is dying.

Helen Highwater
Helen Highwater

“Technical issues” to both craft sounds a bit unlikely …

Mal
Mal
Reply to  Helen Highwater

We were in Ryde Friday and sat and watched one of the hovercraft struggling to get over, as it got in sight you could see the front was bellowing smoke looked like it was going to explode!! I would of hated being stuck on that as it looked like it was going to deflate as well as explode….that’s one of out of action so I would say it is likely for both to be down

Tony Roe
Tony Roe
Reply to  Mal

Money and profit first, service reliability and cost to the passengers at the very bottom

Just thinking..
Just thinking..
Reply to  Helen Highwater

Technical issues cover a multitude of sins, but given that the ‘Flyers’ haven’t been the most reliable Hovercraft to operate the route it’s reasonable to assume it was issues with the craft. If it was, then it’s possible that the fault may have been only present on one of the two craft, but in a similar way to aviation, it may have been decided to ground all craft of the same type while investigations took place, rather than risk the same fault appearing on the other craft.

I’m not defending any of the cross Solent operators, I acknowledge that Hovers have had a few issues but I do prefer them to the other two operators we are stuck with!

Tony Roe
Tony Roe
Reply to  Just thinking..

I agree, but don’t like the race to the bottom they take part in. Passengers have good reason to travel at a time that suits and not fret about whether their chosen sailing will be on time or not

Last edited 1 month ago by Tony Roe
Molly
Molly

Have they been trying to fly again ,,, I told you they would get broken

phil deeznuts
phil deeznuts
Reply to  Molly

stfu bro u try running the hovercraft, the most u can do is sat at a desk all day and complain to your husband at home.

Rupert Marks
Rupert Marks

I have a running joke about the Isle of Wight wanting its independence: Scotland, Wales, Northern Island, Isle of Wight. Then the Isle of Dogs, Shetland Isles, Skye, Isle of Man, Anglesey, all wanting to leave the United Kingdom. Never mind build the bridge, you need to set the date for the referendum.

terry
terry

strange first Red funnel with suspect fuel now Hover travel looks suspect to me as for bridge I do not think we have the infrastructure to take it on / from where to where