Wightlink-sponsored Ryde Rowing Club had another successful day on the water on Saturday (29th July) when they competed at Poole Town Regatta, with their single scullers producing the club’s best results.
There was huge pressure on the club’s Coastal Junior Sculler Dale Buckett who really needed to win to stay in the fight for this Hants & Dorset Championship where, at the start of the Regatta, he was a point behind his main rival from Christchurch with just 3 events to go. But Dale responded with one of his best performances of the season so far securing a relatively comfortable win in his final to level the Championship.
There was an even more convincing win for Ladies Novice Sculler Courtney Edmonds. She is now promoted to Coastal Junior Sculling status and her win brings Ryde level on points in the fight for this Association Championship.
Competing in the Men’s Novice event, Ryde’s other Single Sculler Joel Smith qualified comfortably for his final, where he led from the start and seemed on course for a slightly unexpected victory only for the race to be declared a dead-heat. The decision forced a re-row with his rival from Southsea who narrowly defeated him after a second gruelling row.
Earlier in the day the Men’s Coastal Fours competed with Ben Toms, Joe Groves, Jacob Redstone, Dom Douglas – and cox Micky Jenner. They finished in 4th place, failing to make the final.
A similar fate befell the young Men’s Novice Four of Tom Starkey, Austin Smith, Tye Cameron and Josh Lee – with Karen Crook coxing – who will be disappointed with this performance following their 2nd place last week.
Tom was then replaced by Freya Drage in this Four – with Micky Jenner coxing – to compete in the Mixed J16 Fours event where they fared better finishing in 4th place in the final.
The Ladies Coastal Junior Four of Emily Pike, Lisa Murphy, Courtney Edmonds and Kate Whitehurst – with Micky Jenner coxing, who have already been crowned Hants & Dorset ARA Champions, continued their domination of their event winning both their heat and final very comfortably. The crew then split to race in the Coastal Junior Ladies Pairs event, with Courtney Edmonds and Kate Whitehurst finishing 2nd in the final with Emily Pike and Lisa Murphy finishing just behind in 4th place.
Ryde R. C. Summary of Crews & results
• Men’s Junior Four: D. Douglas, J. Redstone, B. Toms, J. Groves, M. Jenner (Cox) – 4th in heat. Failed to make Final
• Men’s Novice Four: T. Starkey, A. Smith, T. Cameron, J. Lee, K. Crook (Cox) – 4th in heat. Failed to make Final
• Ladies Coastal Junior Four: E. Pike, L. Murphy, C. Edmonds, K. Whitehurst). M. Jenner (Cox) – Won heat and Final
• Mixed, J16 Coxed Four: F. Drage, A. Smith, J. Lee, T. Cameron, M. Jenner (Cox) – 4th in Final
• Ladies Coastal Junior Pair: ‘A’ Crew – E. Pike and L. Murphy – 4th in Final
• Ladies Coastal Junior Pair: ‘B’ Crew – C. Edmonds and K. Whitehurst – 2nd in Final
• Men’s Coastal Junior Pair: D. Douglas & J. Smith – Did not Finish – equipment failure
• Men’s Coastal Junior Sculls: D. Buckett – 1st in Final
• Men’s Novice Sculls: J. Smith – 2nd in heat for place in Final. Dead heat for 1st in Final. Lost re-row so 2nd
• Ladies Novice Sculls: C. Edmonds – 1st in Final