FIRE SERVICE ISSUE WARNING TO CHECK WIRING AFTER NITON FIRE

1,462

The Isle of Wight Fire and Rescue Service are urging households across the Island to check wiring and fuse boxes following an incident at a property in Niton on Saturday.

At around 03:30 crews were called to a kitchen fire at a house in the rural village of Niton. Upon arrival firefighters discovered the fire was actually on the fuse board in an electrical cupboard in the kitchen.

Luckily, the occupants were awoken by the smell of burning and called 999.

Investigations have established that the fire was caused by a fuse box over heating, causing it to melt and give off toxic smoke. If there is an overload of current on your wiring it will heat up causing them to melt and catch fire.

The Isle of Wight Fire and Rescue Service are urging all house holders, and particularly those in older properties, to check their wiring and fuse boxes. The advice in the run up to the Christmas period is not to over load sockets and extension leads with Christmas lights etc. Don’t leave lights on overnight and keep the tree away from fireplaces and other heat sources.

Comment on this story...

The views and opinions expressed by individuals in the comments section above do not represent those of Island Echo, it's employees or advertisers.